Sunday 17 April 2011

Veronika Decides to Die

Whether the title gives it away or not, I have to say this is not the most light-hearted film I have watched and asides from Charlie Chaplin, it is probably one of the most silent films I have ever seen- I think that's what makes it so great.

I'm not sure, but I don't know if it ever screened in cinemas in the UK. I had never seen it advertised on television or at the cinema, no posters or anything. Maybe I wasn't looking. Veronika Decides to Die was one of the many titles that Sky + Anytime had recorded on my behalf in some attempt to persuade me to watch. It worked! I cannot say the same for many of the other names that frequently appear on the list; 'Too Fat for Fifteen' and 'Cannibal Island' to name a few- they could be great, I don't know- I haven't watched them!

Released in 2009 it stars Sarah Michelle Gellar who is probably most well-known for her role as Buffy in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and although comic this probably doesn't suggest serious acting, but do not be fooled . She has really proven herself in this film as 28 year-old Veronika, who after a failed suicide attempt ends up in a mental institution where she is told by her doctor (David Thewlis) that she has a fatal medical condition that will only allow her a number of days to live. In essence this film is about a girl who during a crisis, tries to grasp a new perception and valuation of life.

My favourite aspect of this film is the music. The score was created by Murray Gold, who has been the musical director of Doctor Who, for the past six years, but takes a different turn composing for this seriously intense drama. The music drives a story with little dialogue. It's stunningly quiet and calm and it really works!

I wouldn't say it was sensational or at all thrilling but if you're looking for a relatively intellectual and moving film, I would definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment